23 May 2008

#10 -- See my "geek genes" in action

Okay, so, I'm a geek. I will freely admit to it. I'm studying chemical engineering, working on a doctorate degree in fact in the field of rocket propellant combustion. Yeah, uber-geek. I love science-fiction and fantasy. There are very few times when I'm in public that I don't have my nose stuck in a book; I even take my book to the grocery store to read whilst I would otherwise be "wasting" time standing in line. I enjoy video games (despite the fact that they are probably rotting my brain...), loved the LotR movies, and even wore glasses for most of my up and coming years as a child.

And yet, I think, that there are also parts of me that belie my apparent nerdiness. For instance, I love to participate in sports; I sincerely enjoy being in the kitchen, slaving away at some culinary masterpiece (anyone that watches food network can vouch for the fact that geniuses like Emeril Legasse and Alton Brown are anything but nerds...okay, well maybe Alton Brown is, but he sure is fun to watch); I'm fairly outspoken (when I choose to be) and take on responsibility with a decent amount of competence.

So, I'm not all geek.

Just mostly. :)

And that's why the most recent trip my family took to the library was so impactful for me. My wife had told me at dinner that the library had a few books on hold she needed to pick up. We needed to drop off a few movies that the kids had gotten a while before anyhow, and so after finishing with the grub, we piled the kids into the car and took off for the Provo City Library.

The trip was much the same as many others have been. After my wife grabbed her two books, we proceeded to chase the kids around the Library trying to keep them from screeching too loudly, or from pulling "too many" books from the shelves. I wandered the aisles with my boy and we found a few pirate books that he seemed interested in at the time. Getting more movies for the kids was a fiasco, with our youngest grabbing one movie after another and throwing them onto the carpeting behind her. We explained to our two oldest for the umpteenth time, that the library only allows two entertainment dvds and two educational dvds to go home with us, and that each of them could take one a piece. Lots going on; near parental overload.

Along the way, whilst my wife was looking for a small chapter book for our oldest daughter, our youngest daughter wandered off. I asked my wife where she had gone and she responded that she had just gone around the corner. Being the incredibly paranoid parent that I am, I immediately went looking for her. Down the main aisle, one...two...three...boy, I could have sworn that my wife had said "just" stepped around the corner. Maybe she had gone the other direction? Four...five...by this time I was nearing the end of possible rows of books, when lo and behold said lost child toddles around the corner of the last row of books (yeah, she's going to run track in high school) with a book and a large grin.

I chuckle because she's obviously having fun, and she turns away giggling with her book. I grabbed her and then took the book that she was holding, turning to the shelves to find where she had taken it from. As I did so, I happened to notice the title of the book:

Star Wars: Jedi Order

:) Ah, could a parent be any more proud.

On the flip side, this revelation will probably worry my wife to no end. Sorry, babes. But, what can we do?

Just love em. Just love em.

No comments: