23 March 2008

#1 -- Write a blog

Kind of an odd thing to say, I know, but it really is the truth. I've tried twice now to post things to a blog on a regular basis, and after just a few weeks (both times) everything just kind of fizzled. I had, therefore, come to the conclusion that blogging just might not be for me. Then, last night I woke up about 4am after having had an interesting dream and said to myself, "I need to have a blog." I even knew what I'd call it. And because I know you're all just dying to know what kind of stupidity must have been swirling through my mind at 4am on a Sunday morning--when any rational individual should be sawing logs instead of thinking about blogs--that would have influenced me to try this for a third time (third times a charm?), I'll include it here in its entirety for your enjoyment/torture/benefit.

A woman that I go to church with (in my waking life...) had just exited the building where she works as I was passing. It was dark and she was scared of getting mugged, so she asked if she might walk with me as I went home. I told her that would be fine. Here, she mentioned that she needed to visit a friend of hers and would that be okay with me if we were to stop there along the way. Certainly. Why not? For somre reason it did not occur to me that she was walking with me and not the either way around. Thus, I followed her to an apartment where I found that her "friend" happened to be a guy that used to work in my research department up at school. What a coincidence! She entered the apartment and he came out to talk to me (no idea what she was doing inside). Quite soon, a set of bright lights broke through the darkness of the night behind him. They belonged to a big tractor/trailer rig setup that came up right behind this past co-worker of mine, screeched to a halt, and then started rolling backwards down a hill. Suddenly, it was noon (lots of bright sunshine about) and the rig was heading towards what I knew was a large canal, full of water. My research compatriate and I, ran towards the truck and watched as the entire thing was pulled into the rushing waters within the concrete canal. (I'm grew up in Arizona, and the whole canal thing must have come from my time there. I'm not completely mad. Just partially so.) We swung to follow the truck as it was swept downstream. As I approached, I could tell that the truck had sunk far enough below the water to nearly cover the entire windshield, and I became worried that the person driving it might be drowning. At once I decided that I could be a hero and save this guy from a most certainly unfortunate watery grave. The air instantly became as thick as molasses. It felt as if I was running in slow motion. My mind, however, continued on at breakneck speed. Frustration built up in me at my pace. And then from nowhere, came the idea that I should write a blog! As is, no one else would know what I had done, being a hero and all. I decided that I could call it: 101 things that I never thought I'd do; and number one on the list could be: save a trucker from drowning inside his own cab. What a concept!

Unfortunately, I didn't get much further in this development before my body jerked awake. I came to with the unreasonable urge to start a blog; this one. In honor of my dream, I kept with the title, but decided against the topic of the first post. Yes, granted, I am a writer of fictional stories. Still, I think that I'd like to keep to truth in my posts on this blog, and steer clear of anything that isn't completely true to see just how interesting life can be.

So, that's where I'm starting. And we'll see where it all goes. Cheers.

No comments: